One of my fondest memories from summers in Ireland are the soda bread toasts with butter and jam… had I known it was this easy to bake I would have started baking my own at home much sooner!
Soda Bread Scones
Recipe type: Baking
- 400-450 gr wholewheat flour
- 250-300 gr white flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons castor sugar
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 500 ml buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Mix the dry ingredients first. At this point, you can add to the dry mix raisins, seeds, oats… It should total 750 gr, in the proportions you want (I like doing 450 gr wholewheat, 250 gr white, plus 50 gr oats).
- Add a couple of tablespoons of oil to the buttermilk, mix it well and let it sit before mixing with the rest of the ingredients. Knead with a spoon until you get a firm though which still sticks a bit in your fingers. (If you don't have buttermilk, you can use milk and add a couple of tablespoons of vinegar or lemon juice plus the oil instead.)
- Make small balls and put in a cooking tray.
- Bake in preheated oven at 200º C for 25 minutes.
- Enjoy with a bit of butter and marmalade!