You can go to Big Al’s in Sitges to try this delicacy… or you can follow this recipe and become the life and soul of the party.
Mel's Famous Cheesecake
Equipment: 23 cm cake pan with removable sides
Recipe type: Baking
- Digestive biscuits 250g
- Butter 125g + a little more to butter the cake pan
- Sugar 200g
- Queso para untar or philadelphia 750g
- Eggs 4
- Vanilla 1 tsp
Optional Berry Topping
- 25g sugar
- Grated lemon rind
- Berries 400g (I use frozen)
- Cornstarch 2 tsp
- Preheat oven to 170 c
- Butter the pan
- Melt the butter
- Crush the biscuits until they are crumbs
- Mix the melted butter with the biscuits until it is like wet sand.
- Spread the biscuit mix ⅔ up the sides of the cake pan and on the bottom. Put in fridge to chill.
- Beat the sugar and cheese until smooth.
- Add the eggs 1 at a time. Each time beat the egg in.
- Add in the vanilla.
- Pour into the cake pan.
- Bake in the oven for 50-55 minutes. You want it to be only slightly brown on top. And still have a wobble.
- Turn off the oven and open the oven door. And let it cool until room temperature.
- Let it chill in the fridge for another 4 hours.
- Remove the cake from the tin.
- Eat and enjoy!
- Mix cornstarch with a Tablespoon of water until smooth.
- Heat a small saucepan and add all the ingredients.
- Cook until it thickens but berries should still have some shape.
- Let cool and serve with cheesecake.