Sobrassada is a raw, curated sausage from the Balearic islands. It’s red and tasty, and makes a delicious alternative to ground meat in this lasagne… for those who want to try out the Authentic Mediterranean Soul Food!
Marc's Aubergine and Sobrassa Lasagne
Author: Marc Salles
Recipe type: Main
- 700g of aubergines
- 150g of sobrassada
- 250g of Mato (cottage cheese)
- 60g of grana padano (or parmesan) cheese
- 200g grated mozzarella
- 10 leaves of basil (or some dried basil)
- nuts (any kind and as many as you prefer)
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Wash the aubergines and remove the two extreme parts.
- Cut it into slices of around 1 cm.
- Salt them in both sides and wait for 30 minutes (or more if you have the time) so the soury water goes out from them.
- Dry the aubergine slices on both sides using kitchen paper.
- Oil them slightly on both sides (an oil spray is ideal for this) and put them in the oven over oven paper for 30 minutes. Turn them upside down after 15 minutes so they are cooked from both sides.
- Put the Mató and the grated grana padano cheese into a bowl. Add the basil (if you’re using basil leaves, crush them before adding them to the mixture) and mix until the distribution is uniform.
- Remove the skin from the sobrasada and break it into small pieces.
- Get an Oven recipient ready and coat it with Olive oil.
- The first layer is made only of aubergines. You should use up around one third of them.
- The second layer is made up of half of the Mato mixture.
- The third layer is made up of half the sobrassada. Enrich it with nuts at your leisure.
- The fourth layer is made up of another third of the aubergines.
- The fifth layer is made up of the other half of the mato mixture.
- The sixth layer is made up of the other half of the sobrassada. Again, put as many nuts as you want.
- The seventh layer is made up of half the mozzarella. Add some oregano to it.
- The ninth layer is made up of the final third of the aubergines.
- The tenth and final layer is made up of the other half of the mozzarella. Add some oregano, salt and pepper to it.
- Put it in the oven for around 30 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Serve by cutting it into cubic parts, and enjoy!