Ajiaco is a hearty soup from the cold mountains near Bogotá, Colombia. Charles learnt this recipe from his wife’s sisters during one of his visits, and shared it with us in the office.
Recipe type: Soup
- 8 small starchy potatoes, peeled and diced
- 8 small red potatoes, cut into quarters
- 8 small yellow or white potatoes, cut into quarters
- 2 onions
- 1 chicken cut into eighths
- 1 liter water
- 2 maize, cut into thick slices
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 avocados as a complement, diced
- 400 ml cream
- guascas (or bay leaf)
- capers (alcaparras)
- rice on the side
- oil for cooking
- Heat a bit of oil on a casserole and fry chicken, onions and garlic until golden.
- Add potatoes and guascas to taste, fry for 5 min, stirring so it doesn't get stick.
- Add the maize, coriander to taste and water until covered. Cook for 40 min. The starchy potatoes should disintegrate but the other ones should be well-cooked without disintegrating.
- When cooked, serve on soup bowls and add 100ml of cream, half avocado, and capers to taste.
- Enjoy with some rice on the side!